Today’s announcement from Gov. Tim Walz directs school districts to follow the rate of COVID-19 cases in their area and then use this data to determine their level of in-person learning.
We are working with the city of Eden Prairie to review local COVID-19 data. The intent of Eden Prairie Schools is to use data in our decision to return to school with as many students in school buildings as possible. We will follow today’s executive order which requires we consult with the Minnesota Department of Health, the Minnesota Department of Education and local public health on our plan.
We anticipate announcing the decision to Eden Prairie Schools staff and families the week of August 10. The decision must be based on the best data available. A point in the state’s plan is that as the rate of COVID-19 cases changes, schools must adapt accordingly. If local cases decline, there would be more in-person learning. If cases increase, schools would move to more distance learning.
Some families are looking for a full online learning environment this fall. EP Online is that option. Please complete this interest survey if you are considering full-time online learning for your student. In the survey, you can tell us if you are ready to register, or join an information session to learn more:
- Aug. 6 at 10 a.m. (Zoom webinar link);
- Aug. 6 at 6:45 p.m. (Zoom webinar link); or
- Aug. 7 at 2 p.m. (Zoom webinar link).
Priority is health and safety
As we head into the school year, our continued commitment is to the safety of our students and staff. Eden Prairie Schools will provide:
- Reusable fabric face coverings for students and one-time masks available as needed
- Face covering options for all staff
- Hand sanitizer stations
- Tools for temperature checks (non-contact thermometers and, at entrances, temperature scanning machines)
- A COVID-19 liaison for each school site and a districtwide coordinator will connect regularly with Hennepin County public health
- Social distance reminders in all buildings
- Response plans if a student or staff member has a confirmed case of COVID-19
Eden Prairie Schools has been planning for the return to school since in-person school was paused in March. In addition to districtwide planning, principals and their school leadership teams have been getting their schools ready to open this fall. Our focus remains on the safety of our students and staff while working to inspire each student every day.