District Assessment and TestingThe results of the tests and assessments students take are used in a variety of ways including:
- Instructional Planning: Results are used by teachers to help plan instruction and monitor progress.
- Differentiation: Results are used by teachers to identify the need for differentiated instruction—how different students need to be taught in different ways.
- Placement: Results are used as one of the criteria for participation in programs (i.e. MOSAIC, Key) and classes (i.e. Accelerated Math, Enriched Science).
- School Improvement: Results are used by schools and the district to evaluate programs and plan improvements.
- Accountability: Results are used by the district as an accountability measurement and/or to fulfill the requirements of state and federal legislation.
- College and Career Readiness: Results are used to indicate readiness for post-secondary success and inform course selection and career interests.
Eden Prairie Schools is committed to each student to learn continuously, to eliminate achievement disparities, and to determine a process for assessing student learning. To further this commitment and to address our needs, we are moving away from the NWEA-MAP system and moving to FASTBridge Learning. FAST is an evidence-based formative (used to guide instruction) assessment system which was developed by researchers at the University of Minnesota.
The benefits we will see with FAST are students will spend less classroom time taking the assessments; the screening and progress monitoring will better guide individual and group instruction; and results will inform individual student goal setting and monitor achievement toward those goals.
Grades K - 5 will use FAST for both screening (all students to set a baseline) and progress monitoring (identified students for those below grade-level). In addition to FastBridge, NWEA-MAP will remain in place for 6th grade. During the 16-17 school year we will continue to analyze "best fit” for a standardized measurement to be used in grade 6 that both predicts college and career readiness and aligns to the 7-12 assessment suite. Grade 6 will use FAST for progress monitoring.
For additional information check out these websites:The Eden Prairie Schools testing plan includes all state and district assessments anticipated for the school year with information on who takes the tests, when they are administered, and how the results are used. View the 2016-17 district assessment plan.