Health ServicesMembers of Eden Prairie Schools' Health Services staff interact in partnership with the Educational Team to provide students with high quality and consistent health care and health management. Services provided are essential for maintaining and promoting student achievement in a safe and respectful environment. School nurses and health services assistants work together to meet the health needs of students. This team has a unique understanding of students' physical, social, and emotional health and the resulting impact on learning.
Health Services Paraprofessionals (HSP)
- Provide immediate first aid and comfort to injured students
- Provide care to students who become ill or have health concerns during the school day
- Maintain documentation of immunizations and other health issues as part of the health records
- Administer medications according to physician's orders and parent requests
- Assist with monitoring and providing information regarding communicable diseases
- Are certified in CPR, trained in first aid, and have successfully completed paraprofessional training through the technical college system
- Develop and supervise a system of first aid, illness management, emergency care and health related policies
- Assess, plan and document for students with health issues
- Provide and plan the direct services for chronically ill or medically fragile student needing health procedures
- Plan and provide for vision, hearing and scoliosis screening and do follow-up with referrals
- Serve as a resource to staff, students, families regarding health concerns and health education
- Coordinate prevention and control of communicable diseases
- Have a baccalaureate degree and are licensed in public health and school nursing
Each school is staffed by a Health Services Paraprofessional (HSP) during school hours. A Licensed School Nurse (LSN) is available at buildings on a part-time basis.