The Eden Prairie School Board is comprised of seven elected directors who represent, lead, and serve the stakeholders of Eden Prairie Schools. The School Board assures that Eden Prairie Schools offers educational opportunities that meet our community’s values and that students are achieving the educational results the community expects. The School Board sets expectations for Eden Prairie Schools based on the values of the community. These expectations are incorporated in the School Board's policies, which are monitored annually to determine if the district is meeting the School Board’s expectations. As the values and needs of the district evolve, the policies are updated to reflect these changes.
Elected by the voters within the Eden Prairie community, we are responsible for governing the Eden Prairie School district, approving our district’s budget, monitoring our finances, hiring a superintendent, and establishing a Strategic Vision for the district and our students. We are accountable to the State of Minnesota and the voters of the district.
We want to hear from our community members. Ask us questions, provide insights, offer ideas and suggestions, and share with us your stories of an Eden Prairie education.
If you wish to communicate with the entire Board, please email: email@example.com.
A candidate for the school board must meet the following qualifications:
- Be at least 21-years-old at the time the term of office begins
- Have resided in the school district for 30 days prior to the election
- Be an eligible voter, which includes the requirement that the individual be a citizen of the United States
Affidavits of candidacy are available from the district’s Administrative Services Center at 8100 School Road, Eden Prairie. The candidate filing period is open from July 31 to August 13 at 5 p.m. The filing fee for this office is $2. A candidate for school board must not have any other affidavit on file for any other elected office during the same general election.
Individuals must meet the following requirements to vote in a school board or other special election:
Be at least 18-years-old
Be a citizen of the United States
Be a resident of the school district and maintain residence in the district for 20 days immediately preceding the election
The Eden Prairie School Board consists of seven elected community members, each elected for a four-year term (except in 2017 and 2019, which are 3 year terms; 4 year terms return in 2020). Superintendent Josh Swanson serves as an ex-officio board member and is responsible for implementation of board policies and directives.
School Board meetings are held twice a month. The board holds a Workshop on the second Monday of each month, and holds its Regular Business Meeting on the fourth Monday of each month, both at 6 p.m., unless otherwise indicated*. Workshops and Regular Business Meetings are located at the Administrative Services Center, 8100 School Road, Eden Prairie. All board meetings are open to the public, except those specifically permitted by law to be “closed” for discussion of identified issues such as negotiation strategy or litigation (pursuant to Minnesota statutes).
As the elected governing body of Eden Prairie Schools, the School Board is responsible for:
- Establishing monitoring school board policies. Eden Prairie School district administration implements district policy and supervises school operations.
- Employing and evaluating the Superintendent, the chief executive who oversees all operations of the school district.
- Developing and approving an annual work plan for the 2018-2019 school year in accordance with Board Policy GP 4.3. Adjustments and additions are made throughout the year as needed to accomplish the Board’s work.
- Advocating for students with state lawmakers.
- Establishing and approving the annual budget and audit.
- Setting the annual local school levy.
- Working with the administration to determine the district's educational goals.
- Interpreting the needs of the community regarding the educational program.
- Communicating with stakeholders.
- Ratifying employee contracts.
Like most Minnesota school boards, Eden Prairie Public Schools offers a stipend for School Board service. Members of the School Board receive a stipend of $4,800 per year.
Contact the Board
The Eden Prairie School Board is committed to an atmosphere of openness and transparency with regard to its representation of community stakeholders in the governance of the school district. The board is also committed to providing as many opportunities as possible for residents to play a role in the education of students.
If you wish to speak during public comment, you will be asked to complete a comment card before the Board Meeting, which will be collected at the beginning of the meeting. Information included on this card is your name, address, relationship to the district and topic of public comment. Cards are also available at the Board meeting. Since the purpose of the meeting is for the Board to conduct its business, it expects all participants in the meeting to maintain a proper sense of decorum and respect for all points of view. Public comment takes place at the beginning of the agenda.
- Group Email: If you wish to communicate with the entire Board, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Public Meetings: The Board meets monthly to conduct business and provide opportunities for public input. See below.
The Board has the following committees that meet at least monthly. Specific responsibilities of each can be found under Board Policy GP 4.8.
Committee members for 2018-19 School Year are:
- Board Development: Dave Espe, Holly Link and Elaine Larabee
- Community Linkage: Terri Swartout and Karla Bratrud
- Policy: Elaine Larabee, Terri Swartout and Adam Seidel
- Negotiations: Elaine Larabee and Adam Seidel
- Strategic Core Planning Team: Dave Espe and Holly Link
- Association of Metropolitan School Districts (AMSD): Terri Swartout
- ISD 287: Adam Seidel
- Metropolitan Educational Cooperative Service Unit (ECSU): Holly Link
School Board Meetings (2019-2020) are held twice a month. The board holds a Workshop on the second Monday of each month, and holds its Regular Business Meeting on the fourth Monday of each month, both at 6 p.m., unless otherwise indicated*. Workshops and Regular Business Meetings are located at the Administrative Services Center, 8100 School Road, Eden Prairie. All board meetings are open to the public, except those specifically permitted by law to be “closed” for discussion of identified issues such as negotiation strategy or litigation (pursuant to Minnesota statutes).
During meetings, the School Board works to set expectations for the district based on the values of the community and reviews the district’s progress in meeting these expectations. The School Board is also updated on activities and projects taking place within the district. The public is encouraged to attend meetings. Opportunities are provided at the board meeting for public comment.
Meeting agendas are posted to the website by the Thursday before the meeting, and meeting materials are posted on the website by 9 a.m. the day of the meeting.
Although the official record of board business is meeting minutes, regular board business meetings are recorded for the convenience of our stakeholders. One year's worth of board meeting videos are kept online.
The most recent board meeting is also replayed on local Public Access Channel 14 at 7 p.m. on Thursdays and 8 a.m. on Mondays.
Sign-up to receive News from the Board.