Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does CMS have teams?
- How are the teams chosen?
- What do parents/guardians need to do if a student is sick for the day or needs to leave for an appointment?
- Where can parents/guardians pick up students from school?
- What should I do if my student forgets something and requests for it to be brought to school?
- Is there a dress code?
- Are backpacks allowed?
- Are students allowed to use their cell phones?
- How do I sign up for an extra curricular activity?
Teaming exists for several reasons. It creates a feeling of being in a small group within a large school. Staying with the same teachers all year helps teachers know students better and vice versa. Team teachers plan together and discuss student progress. We encourage parents/guardians to call team teachers with questions and concerns.
In order for an absence to be excused, a parent needs to call the school attendance line prior to, or the day of the absence. The parent needs to state when the child will be absent and explain the reason for the absence. The school attendance line can be reached at 952-975-7301.
CMS students arriving late or leaving early must bring a note from a parent/guardian that includes the parent’s name, student name and reason for absence. Students should give the note to the receptionist as soon as they arrive at school. If leaving early, the note should indicate the time the student should meet their parents at the reception desk.
Central Middle school encourages students to take pride in their attire as it relates to the school setting. Students should dress in a manner that, in addition to the following guidelines, takes into consideration the educational environment, safety, health and welfare of self and others. Students’ clothing must not become a distraction to the educational environment. Below is a list of examples of things not allowed in school. This list is not all-inclusive. Final decisions on student dress code will be made by building administrators. If necessary, parents/guardians may be called to bring appropriate clothing to school.
- Wearing shorts that are an inappropriate length, shirts with bare midriff or shirts with shoulder straps less than 2 inches (i.e. tank tops) are not acceptable.
- Going barefoot, wearing slippers, or wearing pajamas is not acceptable.
- Hats, gloves, sunglasses, and jackets are not allowed during the school day. Students must store these items in their lockers.
- Clothing with obscene language or symbols, or symbols of drugs, tobacco, sex, alcohol, or gang references are expressly prohibited. Profane or defamatory jewelry or writing on clothing, notebooks or folders is not acceptable.
- Items considered to be culturally, racially or gender insensitive are unacceptable.
Because of safety concerns, students are not allowed to carry backpacks during the school day. Students may use a backpack to transport books and belongings to and from school. Backpacks must remain in lockers between 7:45 a.m. and the end of the day. Handbags smaller than a school textbook may be carried at school. Exceptions to this policy may be granted to students with special circumstances. Check with the Student Management Office if circumstances warrant special permission to carry a backpack or larger handbag.
Students are not allowed to receive or make phone calls or send text messages during the school day. If parents need to contact students during the school day, they should call CMS at (952) 975-7300 rather than calling or texting their child’s cell phone. If students are observed using their cell phones during the school day, the phone will be confiscated and parents/guardians of the student will be responsible for picking up the phone.