AVID is an elective class at Central Middle School. Students are selected to participate in this program on a voluntary basis and are required to take at least one enriched class. Through AVID the students learn valuable skills including writing, note taking, reading, inquiry, collaboration, organization and critical thinking to help them succeed in more rigorous courses.
AVID targets those students who are in the academic middle and who are usually under served. Students learn and apply the skills they are taught in their AVID elective class as well as complete the academically rigorous and challenging work required. AVID-trained tutors facilitate small group tutorial sessions weekly, and students are able to visit colleges and universities to learn about academic requirements, classes and collegiate life. Guest speakers, including professionals in various career fields, are invited to present to AVID classes.
The mission of AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society. It is designed to ensure all students, especially the least served students who are in the academic middle, achieve the following:
- Succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Complete a rigorous college preparatory path
- Enter mainstream activities of the school
- Enrollment in four-year colleges
- Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in their communities and our society.
Contact Lisa Senne, CMS Avid Teacher at 952-975-6867 for more information.
To be part of the AVID program and elective, you must complete the application form and short-answer questions. A parent signature is required for a student to be considered for participation. After reviewing applications, students will be selected for interviews by the AVID teacher, and other staff members.
AVID Recruiting Timeline (2022-23):
- February 28: Completed applications for 7th grade students are due.
- March 7 - April 8: Student interviews for 7th grade students conducted at CMS or elementary school site.
Identification of Potential AVID students:
- GPA of 2.0 to 3.5
- MCA Reading test score range of 47-60
- May be the first generation in their family to attend college
- Should be a hard worker and have a positive attitude
- Who is historically underrepresented racially, culturally or economically in colleges and universities
Requirements of AVID Students:
- Will take one enriched class in both 7th and 8th grade
- Is expected to take AP and honors courses while in the program
- Will maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Will adhere to the AVID contract (i.e. Code of Conduct)
Things to Consider:
At the start of the school year, AVID students sign the AVID Student Agreement indicating their commitment to the program and to their success. Incoming 7th Grade AVID students are asked to make a 2-year commitment to AVID. AVID will be an elective course.
If you are interested and meet the above criteria please fill out the application and submit it to Lisa Senne at LSenne@edenpr.org .