Designing Pathways Initiatives
The following initiatives were part of a process that began in January 2016 with many opportunities for community involvement. This work aligns with the strategic plan and Boards Ends Policies and continues our vision for the future.
Personalized LearningContinue to work toward the Strategic Plan goals of personalized learning through expanding blended, hybrid, online and project based learning:
- Utilize a blended learning model that is developmentally age and content appropriate
- PreK-12 scaffolding with the use of interdisciplinary project based learning in teacher designed courses
- Embed technology as appropriate to connect learning across subject areas
- Strategically use technology to achieve the mission and develop 21st century skills and engaged citizens
- Ensure all programming is grounded in standards and the use of innovative practices to recognize students' multiple learning styles and areas of interest
- Continue to look at options throughout students' PreK-12 experience to personalize the education environment
- All schools offer “choice” programming based on state and national academic standards while providing opportunities to develop innovative practices, recognizing students’ multiple learning styles and areas of interests.
High School Schedule
Provide the option for high school students to take classes outside of the traditional school day or during summer term which:
Capstone ProjectsHigh school students are given the opportunity to complete an individual or collaborative interdisciplinary Capstone Project.
- Capstone projects are student-created authentic work that demonstrate a wide range of skills and knowledge while providing some useful outcome to a community.
- They are not a graduation requirement.
- They support School Board Ends Policies and Strategic Plan to ensure students have access to an education that exceeds the minimum standards, prepares them for college and career, demonstrates a contribution to community as a citizen and is personalized.
Middle School Schedule
Continue to explore flexible block scheduling for grades 6 through 8 which:
- Provides for exploration of interests to show student learning through multiple means and deeper learning and engagement through project-based activities.
- Could look similar to the block schedule at the high school where students are provided more course options.
Middle School Teams
If a 6-8 grade configuration moves forward, middle school students will be organized into teams which:
- Maintains small learning communities; supports a small school feel in a large building.
- Helps students feel more connected to teachers, learning and the school community.